Thursday, September 27, 2007

Starting to build a guitar made entirely out of wood framing studs from my house.

We are currently adding on to our house. Our house was built in 1956. So, I had this crazy idea to use the discarded framing studs from the demolition. My contractor brought it to my attention that the studs were from a 100 year old tree..in '56. The wood is stamped D.Fir., which I assume is douglas fir. From just one cross section of 2x4, you can count at least 78 tight growth rings. Roy (contractor) said that these studs were made from slow growth trees and that this practice no longer exists in todays construction industry.

So, since I've read why old 1940's, 50's and 60's Fender guitars were so good was due to the wood used. I've read about the wood is better because of slower growth lumber, less contaminant (growth in cleaner air, less smog), and being very well dried out. When finished, this should sound very warm without any shrill high end. The whole guitar wood will be made using only the 100+ year old studs.

I'm toying with the idea of making another with todays modern wood studs....which usually have about 12 growth rings to one stud. That way I could do a comparison of the two guitars.

This guitar will be lightly sealed to prevent choking the resonance. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: