Thursday, October 4, 2007

One of Elvis Presley's last bass players, Tommy Hensley, played a StewMade Jazz bass replica!

A year ago, I built a Jazz bass replica for a guy named Robert "King" Williams. King as he's known, does sound for the Grand Ole Opry House in Nashville, TN. He saw some of my work from my webshots photo gallery page and contacted me in building one for him. He was interested in a surf green '64 Fender Jazz bass replica I had made a few years back. But King wanted his to be finished in a slightly used condition. You know, used but still kept in it's case over the years.


So I ordered all of the parts and painted the unfinished wood parts. I used Seymour Duncan Antiquity II Jazz pickups (think Jaco Pastorius tone). Funny this would be one of my last Fender replicas only because I have a great relationship with the folks at Fender and this could end up being a problem for me.

After I sent out the bass upon completion, King emailed me about a week later saying how much he loved the bass. As I remember King telling me, a man named Tommy Hensley was playing at the Grand Ole Opry that night and noticed King's surf green J bass. Now Tommy was one of the last bass players for Elvis up until 1975. In fact, Tommy attended Elvis' funeral.

According to King, "Tommy really loved it." In this picture, you can see the Grand Ole Opry stage behind him while he was playing. Thanks to King for taking this picture. Very cool.

Tommy Hensley at the Grand Ole Opry holding a StewMade '64 replica bass, Nashville, TN 2006.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

will ya look at the head on that thing. I'm reffurring to Tommy...speaking of something that needs reffurring! I've been trying to find his number for two years now so if you hear from him tell that waterhead to call Gary Thorsen at 360-450-2915. Thanks

Nice Bass!!

Anonymous said...

Hello! Nice bass there!

It looks like my fender jazz 1975 reissue special edition,same look and matching headstock, lovely bass and colour!
You can see it at www.andytill.com

Cheers,

Andy Till
www.andytill.com

Charles Walker said...

While holidaying in Nashville in Jan'09 my wife Patricia and I attended a concert at the Ryman. Tommy was the sound engineer for the night and we got to meet him. We did catch up later and Tommy helped me buy some audio gear in Nashville. He is a great guy and was very kind and helpfull. Thanks Tommy. We do keep in touch now. Charles Walker (sound engineer) Melbourne, Australia.

Calvin C. said...

oh my, that thing is incredible.
jazz bass + matching = da best