Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Check out my friend Rick's MySpace.

When I was studying music at Cal State University San Bernardino, I met Rick Zahariades. Rick is a monster guitar player. He could always play any style like it was his only genre; classical, jazz, blues, rock, anything.

We were in "Cops in Concert" together between 1985-87 (Rick was already in the band earlier than '85). Rick was the guy I always tried to measure up to in regards to guitar playing. I was constantly trying to improve my abilities just to get up to his level. He was also the one who inspired me to buy my first Stratocaster in 1986. I remember Rick trying to teach me how to sing along with my guitar soloing, like George Benson. For the life of me, I couldn't do it. Now I've become so comfortable with the guitar, I can sing anything I play while playing on guitar.

Rick left Cops in '87 and this left me with nobody to gauge my skills against. Other people praised my guitar playing abilities but in my mind, I was nowhere near Rick's abilities.

When you visit his site (Brian?) click on "Backyard". That's all Ricky on guitar. He has played with many jazz and blues heavies. He's backed Jessica Simpson (yeah, I know but hey it's a name you recognize), Lauryn Hill, Nick Lachey, Paulina Rubio, Wayne Henderson, Don Grusin, Ronnie Laws, Stix Hooper, Terry Bradford, Alejandro Sanz, Shaila Durcal, Joan Sebastian, Juan Gabriel, Dawn Robinson (En Vogue), Cafe Quijano, Jenny Rivera, Obi Bermudez, Micheal Buble', Kristine W., Bobby Kimball, Jaci Velazquez, Los Trio, Cristian Castro, K-Ci, Chayanne, Carlos Ponce, Pepe' Aguilar, Composer Christopher Young, producers Humberto Gatica, Gustavo Farias, Kenny O'brien as well as various T.V./radio commercials, television and movie scores/soundtracks (most recently NBC T.V. program "Scrubs" and a new Dennis Hopper film titled "Ferris Wheel").

Also check out some of his outakes from some recording sessions in his "video" section. Rick is the king of rock face. Without a guitar in his hands, he's very quiet and humble....at least he was in '86.

Because of Rick, I am a better musician today. He challenged me unknowingly how to not settle for poor tone, always throw in something that engages your listener to want more, and how to carefully listen to the band and contribute your style only if the song begs for it. Phrasing comes to mind also. Less is more and flash is good only when necessary. Still to this day, I occasionally have a "What would Rick's approach be" moment. That's right after my "How would Larry Carlton play this". Enjoy.

No comments: